5th Avenue Eye Center
Rate Us
Call for an appointment today!

What does cataract surgery cost?

Print Friendly

Cost of cataract surgery in New Jersey & New York

cost-of-cataract-surgery-new-jersey-nyCataract surgery cost is typically an accumulation of a number of expenses, including doctor’s visits, facility charges, anesthesia, supplies and the surgery itself. On average, cataract surgery cost in the United States is $3,000 to $5,000 per eye if you pay for the surgery out-of-pocket.

Medicare and health insurance plans can help defray most or even all of these costs, minus deductibles and co-pays when applicable. The cataract surgery cost in New Jersey and New York can vary greatly, however, depending on where you live, the surgeon you choose and your specific needs. For example, it costs extra to repair other vision problems like astigmatism, or presbyopia at the same time as cataract surgery.

Additionally, while private health insurance plans and Medicare often cover the cost of traditional, monofocal intraocular lenses (IOLs), many people opt for multifocal (bifocal or trifocal) lenses that allow for corrections in up-close and distance vision. These cataract surgery costs are typically seen as not medically necessary and are often not covered under insurance plans and government programs.

The Newest Premium Lens Options

This page is having a slideshow that uses Javascript. Your browser either doesn't support Javascript or you have it turned off. To see this page as it is meant to appear please use a Javascript enabled browser.


Health Insurance Coverage for Cataract Surgery Costs

health insurance coverage for cataract surgery new jersey new yorkMost private health insurance plans (either employer-sponsored or purchased individually) cover cataract surgery cost in New Jersey and New York, especially for people age 65 and over. The only amount you would have to cover would be the cost of your annual deductible, as well as any co-pay amount required by your health plan (typically 10-20%).

Additionally, you may have to pay 20% of the following costs that are not a part of the actual procedure, but which are necessary in order to complete the cataract surgery:

  • An EKG test that determines your heart health prior to surgery
  • A comprehensive eye exam to determine your eye’s refractive errors
  • Charges for an anesthesiologist or nurse practitioner
  • Prescription eyeglasses, if needed after surgery
  • Follow-up procedures or care due to complications that arise after 90 days included post-operative care


Free or Reduced Cataract Surgery Cost with Medicare

medicare_logoEvery year, Medicare determines how much allowed value is covered for cataract surgery cost. Most cataract surgeons agree not to charge Medicare patients above this amount. In the majority of Medicare cases, the government will cover 80% of the allowed amount, and the patient will be responsible for the remaining 20% (minus the annual deductible which is $147 as of January 2013).

Supplemental Insurance

Supplemental insurance policies can cover the 20% Medicare co-payment or your private health insurance plans co-pay in order to make the surgery virtually free for patients who carry these plans. There are also government and private subsidy programs available as well that can help defray the cost of the Medicare co-payment and deductible.

Contact our New York or New York offices at the 5th Avenue Eye Center to find out more about cataract surgery New Jersey & New York and how much you can expect to pay for your procedure. We’ve served countless cataract surgery New Jersey and New York patients and we can help you as well. Our no-obligation consultation will help you get questions answered and will present you with options for your cataract surgery.

Schedule a Cataract Consultation


Related pages:

Are cataract causes always age-related?
Cataract Symptoms & Types of Cataracts
Cataract Surgery and Presbyopia (Vision After 40)
Crystalens Advantage
Dr. Ilan Cohen Opens New Manhattan Office
Copyright © 2013 5th Avenue Eye Center. All Rights Reserved. Privacy policy Site Map
Switch to mobile version